Day 1: From Memory to Written Record: England 1066-1307 by Michael Clanchy

 


As part of the #The100DayProject, I'm going to posting books that are part of my upcoming (okay, should be happening like now) comps. If you're like, wait, what, WHERE ARE WE here? You go away for years and suddenly you're back, what gives!? I'll give an update in another post. 

It seems fitting, however, to start this project with the book that started it all. I bought my copy in 2015 and immediately made it my favorite book on medieval history. It's cited in almost everything I read; I cite it in almost everything I write. It has made my nerdy little heart happy. Who else could break down the "weight of wax used in sealing Chancery writs , 1226-71" into pounds of wax used per week and make it fun (80-82)? I know, I have a weird idea of "fun." Another appealing aspect of this book is that was affordable comparitive to some academic books. The current price on Amazon is $43.99. 

Michael Clancy died in January 2021. I found out in a class on Zoom taught by my advisor. I had to turn off my camera for a few minutes and cry. Clanchy's work spanned many decades. The above book is the 3rd edition. Clanchy closes chapter 1 by stating that this book "concentrates on the two-and-a-half centuries from 1066 to 1307 because those are the years when the use of writing became irreversibly established for government business and titles to property" (44). He also quotes Nicholas Orme's book on Medieval Children, stating: "We think of literacy as a personal skill because we live in a socity that places an emphasis on people as individuals. In the Middle Ages, communities were equally important:families households, towns, manors, and villages, all of which included literate people" (45). Fittingly, over the lasts few years, my research has become focused on 1066 through the 13th century. My research on forest law (will explain in another post) has become focused on the government and the communities in regards to forest law. 

Books are powerful, words are powerful. This one is special. 

Comments

Popular Posts