All the Shades


Last night I found myself thinking about color. How many colors we can see is open to debate, how many we consciously perceive is surely lower. So when you see a person, you may only see one color. I'm not talking about skin tone, I'm talking about something more ethereal, not quite an aura. Maybe we categorize people and if we categorized by color, they would be assigned one, even if it's only in our mind.

Last night I also found myself on Pinterest scrolling through pithy quotes that we can use to change our lives. I found myself getting a bit down on myself, knowing that at my age (over 40) some of those changes don't come so simply. Change is hard, life is hard. It's harder if people just throw quotes your way and think that is all it takes. It's like telling you to avoid blue or do green when they think it's just one color. They might not see the shades and tints to your situation. They don't see what you see and they can't understand why you want to bang your head on the wall or hide back under the covers.

Life is complicated, a nuance of every color in the palette. A quote cannot catch the spectrum. So if you find yourself letting a quote get the best of you, remember it's not that easy. It never is.

Comments

Popular Posts