Weep Not

Here it is, another musician’s death by their own hand. He had addiction issues, he just lost a friend, he… whatever rationale the populus gives for the loss of an artist. I’m a Linkin Park fan, albeit not in the way some people are. I’m older, I found them AFTER Transformers, yet I still bought their music, cranked it up, and sang along. The lyrics of troubled souls, that seems to be the music that I’m listening to lately. Linkin Park found their way into my heavy rotation after my divorce – the lyrics of regret, striving, and inner turmoil resonated with me.

How do we discuss this death without simply dismissing it because he dealt with addiction issues? How do we celebrate the art of another human being without writing them of completely because they struggled to overcome? Some won’t, they’ll blame drugs or rock-n-roll, they’ll blame fans for buying albums fueled by the introspection that comes with pain. Not every addict is an artist, not every artist is an addict.

How do we get to the point where artists are allowed to rip open their chests and let us peer into their souls and yet still not let them fall into the darkness? I don’t know. I used to try to find that solace in Linkin Park lyrics, I still will, but with a twinge/more than a twinge of heartache because in my darkest days their lyrics spoke to me and now part of that solace is gone. May his voice continue to soothe the troubled soul.

 “Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me”
-Roads Untraveled

Comments

Popular Posts